What are escape rooms?
Let’s go ahead and start with some history and background! Escape rooms originated from a type of a “game” that has been featured in many shows on Japanese television. Shortly after, this “game” became fairly popular in many areas including Europe, Australia, China, and the United States. In particular, escape rooms became a big hit among the younger generation in many areas of Asia because they acted as distractions from the stresses and pressures of reality.
The structure of escape rooms starts with a plot and introduction. The number of players typically range from two to perhaps eight where everyone works together to find clues and objects to interact with. In an average escape room session, there are multiple stages or steps, one leading to another, that need to be cleared in order to continue with the plot and make your final escape.
My own experience with escape rooms!
My very first escape room experience was with family many years ago—three to be exact. Having always been a scaredy-cat, I was not looking forward to the narrow halls and mysterious lighting this experience would provide. But hey, at least I had my family with me, right? After we signed our lives away consenting to the risks of participation, all of us slowly walked into an isolated and dark space. Ugh, it’s too late to back out now. The adventure was about to begin!
With nine smart members, I was sure that this would be a breeze—I even had the high hopes that out group might break the record for quickest finish time. But I do have to admit that whew, finding the first clue was extremely difficult because you really have nothing to go off of. Although we looked and flipped through every single thing in all three rooms, we found no clue at all. A little disappointed that we hit a bump in the road, I had started giving up on the search.
Lacking enthusiasm and with my back to the television, I decided to re-search the table in front of me. Suddenly, a voice started to emanate from the monitor of the television in the room. Startled to the depths of my soul, I took a small leap and hit the table in front of me—no wonder I was required to sign a consent form. This mysterious voice gave us a hint, telling us that the clue we were looking for had something to do with temperature. And thanks to the voice’s reminder, my family and I quickly found the first hint in the lamp.
From then on, we progressed slowly, but surely through each step to the exit. After this entire ordeal and the many struggles, all I want to say is that this was a super awesome experience. However, I purposely cut it short and kept out all the details because I would like you can go in and experience this all for yourself without any preconceived bias. I’m sure you will have a lot of fun and perhaps even make a lot of new friends! But if you would like any recommendations or wanted to know more about my experience, feel free to leave a comment and I will definitely get back to you!
Where can I find the perfect escape room for me in Los Angeles?
The following are different types of escape rooms that are offered in the greater Los Angeles area. If you are interested in any of the following, be sure to click on the number leading up to the description!
1. Think before you act—your every action may change the course of history! Immerse yourself in the world of wizards and magic, explore the lost tomb of Amenhotep the Fifth, and step aboard a magnificent one way train.
2. Beware before you enter! Here, you will have the opportunity to slip away from the confines of a prison cell, get away with crime, and get lost in a danger-filled jungle.
3. Step into the mythical worlds you often find in books! Hunt and kill vampires, retrieve a long lost and mythical sword, and escape the secret based of a mysterious smuggler.
4. Go places you have never imagined before! Explore the wonders of a magic kingdom, return home from a visit far in outer space, and embark on a daring adventure under the deep sea.
5. Put your detective hats on! As a part of a team, your task is to take back treasure from the royal family, reveal the secrets of a cryptic space station, and find the long-missing FBI agent.